Bar Stories Wanted

Do you have a great bar story that you would like to see featured at 1762 Broadway?

Drop us an EMAIL with the juicy details to get it posted.

10.01.2007

Not for Glory but for Life


From Wikipedia:
“A veteran (from Latin vetus, meaning "old") is a person who is experienced in a particular area, and is particularly used in Russia and the United States to refer to people in the armed forces. It often refers to retired armed services personnel. A veteran is one who has served in the armed forces and has an honorable discharge; a common misconception is that one had to have either been in combat and/or has retired from active duty to be called a veteran. Because of this widely held misconception, women have often been excluded from this equation.”

I stopped by the ancient dive late Saturday night (after 10:00) to just sit quietly and have a beer. It was a real rough Saturday for me. I had to get two cord of wood stacked for the winter and I just couldn’t do it (bad injuries). So I got promised some help that didn’t show up and my Gardener and one of his helpers stacked half of it.

I, like an idiot, between low crawling and waddling stacked the other half, one cord of wood (4’X4’X8’) one piece of wood at a time (It took about three hours). I found myself in the bar and it was pretty noisy. ERL, Evie, Dino, P.T. and a lot of the younger crowd who flow in an out semi regularly were there also.

BeyBey was behind the Bar and she seemed to have everything in hand. Low light, cigarette smoke wafting through the bar and most in attendance were riding out a good buzz. A dart thrower, Irish guy from Sheepshead Bay, in his early thirties, started rattling off stuff about the military and this current “war”. “What’s your name” I got in edgewise, (his mouth didn’t stop running) he said ‘Redd’.

Redd started to tell me all about the Army and the Marine Corps and this thing the Marines call ‘Semper Fi’. He went on to explain brainwashing and how unfit some military people are to come back to the U.S. Redd went on to babble about how good we’re doing militarily even though some Veterans come back “fucked up”.

(Why me, why now, Why am I here?) “You look like an intelligent guy” said Redd as he continued his diatribe (I wonder what made him come to that realization). By then P.T. (Doc’s Sister) came by and gave me a hug. I excused myself from this one way conversation for a moment and P.T. let Redd know I was a Marine. Then, thank God, Chucky showed up and exclaimed, “RJ, Why are you always instigating that religious stuff, good grief”, Chucky exclaimed.

Redd got distracted for a minuet and Chucky quickly figured out this guy may not know what the hell he’s talking about. (Really?) Chucky got me a beer and I listened to his acute observations about life and getting along with people. Chucky related a lesson about love and forgiveness he learned from his 11 year old daughter. He told me some people just try to hard ‘fit in’. (I see where he was going).

Redd came back, to resume where he left off, I broke in and made three quick points: I am a veteran of the Marine Corps, a Combat M.P. The Marines answer directly to the President of the United States and can be committed to conflict without consent of Congress. I quoted the National Security Act of 1947 and explained that all armed service members defend the constitution but do not live under its protection.

I finally explained Semper Fi is short for Semper Fidelis – which means “Always Faithful”. I told Redd that I am an American Legionnaire and talk regularly to Iraq War Veterans. (Redd knew that he just embarrassed himself) Redd went to shoot darts. Chucky shook his head and smiled. We talked a while longer he had another beer and went home.

Sunday, I was in as 'almost' usual. I watched a news show before I left explaining why America is going to be in Iraq another 4 to 6 years. I turned it off, had dinner with Mom and came here, to this ancient dive to shoot pool, drink and forget. The regulars floated in and out. Yaega Lee was behind the Bar.

Biker Bob was in early also, Dusty, Wouff and Devilynn were there. The Met Fan showed up only to be consoled by everyone at the Bar. There were some new faces and all was pretty good so far. Limpin Pimp showed up and decided to sit with me for a few. (Why not!) He was attempting to use religious justification for dumping his woman. I explained that God has nothing to do with it. (Limpins Girl’s new junk habit might have something to do with being dumped).

I walked outside to get some fresh air and saw an old bumper sticker on a beat up car. “Support the War, …Support the Troops”. I was angry. Another reminder of what I choose to forget. Inside at the bar someone talked about social resources, can’t get Medicaid, but the Military gets billions. I tried to ignore this as I watched the Mets loose…again.

Shelly arrived to relieve Y.L., I spoke to her about the absence of the Menhaters from a Jets game. Shelly said, they were at the Baby Shower for Pregnant Lily, they tired themselves out. “You know how women get at Baby Showers”, Shelly said. Yeah, very excited about a new life coming into this old world. I thought this to myself.

I then sat down, stared into my beer and almost cried. What kind of world is that kid coming into? Even with this stupid ass conflict we call a war, we glorify the conflict. We do it very unintentionally. We show incredible aircraft, ships, missiles, and weapons that can ‘take out the enemy’. We don’t show the flag draped caskets, the weeping wife, the orphaned child or the broken mother and father.

“Are you alright”, Yaega Lee said as she looked into my face. I said I was fine, I lied.
I thought about this country and what some administrations have done in the name of ‘democracy’. When I think of all the Great Wars, I think of all the great villains of those wars. Who and what were we fighting?

When any country doesn’t account for itself and what it does under the pretense of honor or self defense, the final accounting is effected when a new group of ‘kids’ have to go to war to cover past fuck-ups.

America sometimes help to create its enemies, Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto who orchestrated the attack on Pearl Harbor by creating at the time, what arguably was the worlds most effective Carrier Task Force, is an alumnus of both Harvard University and the U.S. Naval War College. Yamamoto learned Carrier strategy and tactics from the U.S. Navy.

Nguyn Sinh Cung a former galley cook from French Indo-China, who briefly lived in Harlem, worked for the OSS in WWII, the OSS financed, armed and trained Nguyn in clandestine tactics. Nguyn Sinh Cung was renamed by the Indo-Chinese, The Great Soul, he is known to the world as Ho Chi Mihn.

The CIA in Afghanistan in the 1980’s armed, financed and trained the Taliban and the mujahideen (Iran-Contra). The Chinese and Egyptians were in on the Arms deal for the Afghan rebels and other groups fighting the soviets. A group of Saudi Nationals joined with the mujahideen. Also trained by Egyptians, Chinese and CIA, one of these Saudis became quite a popular mujahideen fighter and leader. He is Osama Bin Laden.

I thought about Redd on Saturday night along with Pregnant Lily’s coming child. Redd is intoxicated by the power of warfare, the so called ‘glory of war’. Lily’s kid is coming into a world where he or she may be deprived of health care, education and opportunity because of war. Even worse, her child may have to fight the next war.

I think of every burned out, depressed and wounded Veteran who served and what we fought for. We fought so another kid on another day wouldn’t have to. Everyone thinks that the only ones who actually fought are to be called ‘Veteran’. So many soldiers, sailors and airmen didn’t go overseas and get shot at. But they did do their part to keep America safe and they also deal with the side effects of war.

Redd is a ‘good boy’ who pines for the glory of war, dress blue uniforms decorated with medals, Combat equipment on parade and Airshows displaying every new combat aircraft. I think of the child coming into the world, grieving families, broken men with broken lives, widowed men and women who have to find a way to move on.

To quote a bitterly depressed soldier who was labeled as ‘crazy’, “There's many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory but it is all hell. – General William Tecumseh Sherman”. My feeling is summed up in this quote from a song, “Heaven help the roses if the bombs begin to fall, Heaven help us all. –Stevie Wonder

Veterans Day and the Marine Corps Birthday are coming in November (10th for the Marine Corps, 11th is Veterans Day.) Do something for a Veteran in November, if its just a handshake or a hug, do it. No matter what your political affiliation or beliefs pro or con, write your congressperson. Pregnant Lily’s baby should have a choice not to be another soldier.

As General Sherman said, “War is too serious a matter to leave to soldiers.”

Love!
RJ

No comments: