Bar Stories Wanted

Do you have a great bar story that you would like to see featured at 1762 Broadway?

Drop us an EMAIL with the juicy details to get it posted.

10.06.2007

Tour of the Champion

It was late May 1985 and Okinawa was hot and steamy. Exotic greenery everywhere, palm trees, large leafed plants and thickly forested areas with much florid vegetation was all over the island. The north end of the Island and the shore was better than anything I had ever seen in any travel guide. It’s like nowhere else in the south pacific. Bright white sand with tan, burnt orange and turquoise shaded coral on the beaches and water the deepest, purest blue.

I considered my presence here a punishment when I was sent. I thought I would continue to be attached to the fleet. But even though I was decorated on the last expedition, I did bring the wrath of Command down on myself. I expressed my disdain in writing about my being attached to a command with an officer who knew nothing about the particular duties the company needed to execute. Even worse, how “she” was unable to lead Marines in a Combat support role.

My rewards were; another medal and a ribbon, ironically presented to me by the same female lieutenant, a meritorious mast presented to me by the 7th Marines and an Article 32 investigation for insubordination to a superior officer. Of course the charges were dropped and I was reassigned. I thought my punishment would continue, but my ‘luck’ had changed when I was tapped to be a Patrol Supervisor for the base M.P.’s at Camp Hansen back in December of 1984.

I served under Captain Garrett, C.O. and Deputy Provost Marshall of the Northern District. I had the privilege of serving with him when he was the X.O. (executive officer) for the Division M.P.’s back at Camp Pendleton in sunny southern California. He did me the favor of not only cleaning up my record book but giving me a task I grew to love. Up to May of ’85, I worked my ass off, loved it six days a week 12-16 hours a day.

As one of three Patrol Supervisors, I had full run of the North End of Okinawa, Camp Hansen, Camp Schwab and all the way to beyond Naha and Nago. I had a good watch, everybody was on the ball all the time. I was a short timer, less than 40 days left in the Corps, I hadn’t made up my mind to stay in or get out. I was married and away from my wife for almost a year when May came. I was wound up. Staff Sergeant new it, Gunny new it and the Captain new it too.
We were headed for Memorial Day weekend and I had setup patrol routes for the base and Kin Kin Cho, the local town outside the base. Kin Kin Cho had about 40 bars, 30 restaurants and numerous other ‘comfort’ areas facing the sea. Okinawa’s beaches are beautiful, blue coral (volcanic) rock is all over the place along with caves and ancient burial locations, some right on the beach. Rarely was there a bad day as one looked upon the shore and out upon the East China Sea.

I was prepared for rowdiness, there was an edginess, an awkward kind of feeling when dealing with the local population of Japanese nationals. The anxiety came from their resentment of U.S. Forces but their love for U.S. dollars. As I operated behind the Desk Sergeants area at M.P.D. (Military Police District) North, Gunny Townsend (Tall White well built RedNeck with a scarred up face) stormed in. The Desk Sergeant, (Sergeant McCloskey) stood up to acknowledge our acting X.O. “At fuckin ease, I’ll be here awhile” snapped the Gunny.

Gunny walked right up to me while I was plotting routes on the stat map (tracks routes, types of crimes and their locations, suspects, witnesses, etc.). I greeted him in typical military fashion, ‘Morning Gunny, how can I help you?’ He looked, passed right by me, grabbed a chair and sat down. “Put your ass in that chair” said Gunny. I sat down. Gunny took out a cigar and lit it up. (There is no smoking in the PMO North District Office)


Gunny took a few puffs, stared me down and spoke, “I’m gonna talk, your gonna listen. Understand?” ‘Yes Gunny.' “Your a Watch Commander, doing a job two stripes above your pay grade. Apparently its gittin to ya. All the other Sergeants, McCloskey, Walton, Remming and Jackson complain your tightenin everythin up when there’s no need to. Apparently you’ve been screwing up the program.”

I quickly stared over the Gunny’s shoulder at McCloskey who turned away from me. “ME ASSHOLE, ME! KEEP YOUR EYEBALLS ON ME”, growled the Gunny. I quipped ‘Request permission to speak Gunny.’ “Request denied”. “Remember I’m talking, your listening! A big part of the program is morale. That’s the part of the program Captain says your screwing up.”

Gunny went on, “Apparently you got the brass snowed pretty good, their convinced your one outstanding motherfucker. But you gotta get your people loosened up. For a short timer your attention to duty is damn good, but your wound up tighter than a cheap watch. That tight assed, hard nose attitude only goes so far. Captain thinks you’re half a heart beat from snapping.”

Gunny blew smoke cigar smoke in my face and asked, “You ought to look at re-uppin soon….you gonna?” I said, ‘I don’t know yet Gunny, haven’t made up my mind’. “That may be some of your problem, Sergeant,” Gunny said abruptly. Gunny then put my mail on the desk (apparently it had been opened). “Before you can get you unit squared away, get yourself squared away.”

Gunny’s voice got low as he said, “You got a 48 hour pass starts at 0001 Hours on the 27th, that means your ass reports back by 0001 on the 29th. Understand?” ‘Understood!’ I quickly replied. I then knew all I had to do was get through the weekend but then Gunny totally blew my mind. Gunny blew some more smoke in my face from his stank ass Cigar and said “Its my opinion you are unfit for to run this watch due to fatigue, go see the Corpsman. As of now you are relieved of duty.”

Gunny gave me a hard look and said, “Call me immediately after you see Doc Wright, got it!” I said ,‘Understood Gunny.’ I dismissed myself from his presence, mail in hand and proceeded to go straight to McCloskey for a ‘talk’. Gunny barked, “HELL NO! I got your watch, Sergeant, GET THE FUCK OUT!" I went to see Corpsman Wright who determined I was stressed out (I felt fine) and said I shouldn’t return to duty until Monday and gave me a chit. I called Gunny and told him.

Gunny’s attitude and language was quite different on the phone. Gunny said, “O.K. kid, looks like you got about four days or so to fuck off. Have some fun and check in four times a day – that’s every six hours dickhead, got it.” ‘Got it Gunny’. “If you have too much fun call me directly, don’t hurt or kill nobody either.” Then a click.

I went back to my quarters wondering what the fuck happened. I then figured I better read my mail. ‘Bank Statement, NCO fund,….a letter from June.’ I opened the letter and read it intently. When I got to the part that her old boyfriend was harassing her, threatening her, frightening her even though she was married to me… (June’s ex-boyfriend took serious injury due to several falls after leaving a bar in LA – his alleged assailants have never been identified or found). .. I ran to the YMCA, they had several international phones.

I called her immediately, I didn’t care if it was 1:45AM Friday Morning in Los Angeles. I called. Who is this she yelled. ‘Baby, its me,…RJ.’ “Oh thank God…Winton’s been calling me and calling me, I told him to leave me alone but he won’t.” I said, ‘listen call my lawyer Cousins, and file charges and get a restraining order O.K….don’t go anywhere alone!’ . June said, “I don’t Jana (June’s sister) goes everywhere with me.”

‘Listen, I want Jana to take you to Uncle Jake’s in Bakersfield this weekend, Stay with Aunt Emmie until you hear from me, let Adan and Dee (My Cousins) do the legal work. They owe me..’ ‘Is there anyone there with you? “Yeah, Little Kikki! (Her maid of honor – did jail time for assault) She got her friend Roscoe (snub nose .38) with her too.” ‘Sorry to wake you love. I had to hear your voice…I’m gonna take care of this, just do what I told you.”

We talked a while longer and I hung up. I was crazy angry, I had to calm down and think. I got in touch with Sergeant Tyler. (Me and Tyler go back to Division, about three years) Everybody calls him “T”. We caught up to each other that Friday Night at a local national bar outside of Camp Kinser, about 1 hour south of Camp Hansen. In a nice private section with big soft chairs and couches we talked.

“T” was with both his women with whom he lived, not far from Kadena Air Force Base. “T” eased forward “RJ man what has go you so upset,?…You need to chill the fuck out my brotha.” I told “T” ‘Winton, the punk ass ganja smokin’ rasta wanna be, is trying to mess with June.’ I clenched my fist and said, “The woman is my wife and he thinks that since I’m not there I can’t do anything about it.”

“T” shook his head, saying, “apparently the incident that got his ass bounced off the pavement last time didn’t teach him anything.” Looking straight at him I said, “I know I’m a short timer but I have the cash to get her to New York…to get her around my people…no West Indian coolie dare show up around that neighborhood. I’ve got to move her.”

“T” cocked his head, “You RJ, You….gonna give a mother fucker that much power in your life? What’s wrong wit’cha man? You got brothers all over the world (Marines) , beside – we can take care of this and she doesn’t have to so much as shift her hips.” “I didn’t get you a wedding present so I’m giving you one now RJ, you know where the mutha fucka lives? “T” then lit a cigarette and said “well do you?” ‘Yeah, I can get that info to you in short order.’ ("T" worked for NIS the Naval Investigative Service)

“Alright then, its done! Now Haruka and Kayo are feeling a little neglected here, lets do some drinking,” said “T”. He ordered 4 ‘Purple Haze’ cocktails (purple liqueur with some kind of opiate in it) with saki shooters. “Kayo, get next to my brother and make him smile”, said “T” in a half whisper. Kayo unzipped my pants and started massaging my manhood. After the second sip of my drink, I was starting to trip.

‘“T” what kind of bar is this?’ “T” grinned, “The kinda place that loves Americans, dig?” “Man, relax. (All kinds of people in various stages of undress were getting familiar with each other) When we get up from here said “T” “the party’s just begun.” “You got till Tuesday night, 4 days? You spendin’ one of those days with us, me Haruka and Kayo.”

“ I owe you “T”, thanks”, I looked down and realized Kayo was on her knees. “No bro’ I will always owe you for saving my ass in Australia, I owe you this life….tonight we’re gonna party like we’re dying tomorrow.” I thought, ‘we just might’. (What’s gonna happen in the next few days? Will June call back? Will June get to Bakersfield without a problem? Should I allow myself ‘pleasures’ knowing in less than 40 days, I’m going home to June?)

"To Be Continued"

Later.

Love.

RJ

2 comments:

SD said...

Dude, that is awesome.

True MAN stuff.

Amazing how we are capable of such dichotomy at times. Looking forward to the next installment.

Reuben James said...

Thanks,
But this gets a little deeper as it does funnier as this goes along. This shows a side of "deployment" most people don't even think about.