Bar Stories Wanted

Do you have a great bar story that you would like to see featured at 1762 Broadway?

Drop us an EMAIL with the juicy details to get it posted.

9.26.2007

Small Stage, Big Show at the Corner



I swung by to see Mom who gave me an update on my Aunt who is still hospitalized. I then got something to eat at a local restaurant and was watching the Mets loose ‘again’. I realized I could go to the Corner and do that. So I did. I arrived to find things as they usually are. The ancient dive was quiet but some of the regulars were there.

Shelly was behind the bar and she looked kinda pissed (I didn’t ask why). Daria and Candy were sitting and conversing with Daria’s brother ‘Mort’. Mort has a son in the Marines and he just got back from doing his last tour in Iraq. Mort said that his son hasn’t quite adjusted to life back in the ‘world’ just yet. I suggested to Mort that he do all he can to get his son busy with life and living or he could ‘slide into real darkness’.
(I know what I’m talking about)

The Met Fan sat at the bar, his head in his hands attempting to drown himself in his beer. He looked up at the screen again and saw the score. He ordered another beer. “RJ, you believe this shit…how is it they always find a way to loose”. I just shook my head and asked him about an old flame who would really like to see him. He said he isn’t going to see her any time soon.

Doc was sitting at the end of the Bar. It always good to see him, he’s always on an even keel and has so much information about how hospitals, medicine and the medical system really works. Daria and Mort left Candy sitting at the bar. So I said hello and asked Candy how things were. “Doing alright” she said with her easy soulful smile. How about you? I let her know details of my weekend in the Berkshires that won’t be found in other written material.

I asked her about Kareoke Night on Saturday and Candy’s eyes lit up. She recounted to me the events of the evening. Candy went on to say, “this place was packed wall to wall except a little space on the dance floor. People were gathered out the front and back doors. This bar was electric and the spirit in here was just awesome.” Shelly piped in and said the place was jumpin but “somehow different”.

Candy went on, “All kinds of people, different races, different cultures, different styles of dress, a lot of ‘soul brothers and sisters’ were here singing, laughing….a whole lot of joy.” Candy said Hector and Ellie were there, K-Cee was there as were many regulars and “a lot of people who never set foot in here…or if they have, I’ve never seen them before.” From what I gathered from Candy, Kareoke night was a cross between Woodstock and a Revival meeting.

While Candy and Shelly filled me in on Kareoke Saturday Night, Limpin Pimp eased in. He was cool, no picts, just hanging out and he offered to by beers and shots as usual. As Candy was telling me about how things were arranged the man himself showed up. Cary and his wife Mallory were the D.J.’s and orchestrators of the Kareoke night event. Now I had Candy, Shelly and Cary relating events.

Cary shared how first he layed down the law pertaining to how the night would go and that no one was going to humiliate anyone who was getting up to sing. He also got the crowd into supporting each other. In Cary’s words “a sense of love and community came over the place”. “Most of the singing was not only good but from the heart”, Cary said. Candy jumped in, “We came to the place as strangers, we all left knowing each other”.

Cary continued, “It was truly a good evening, everybody was in total harmony, it was real.” It made my heart glad to hear this. That this old dive held an event that was anti-schismatic. It amazed me that something happened here that did not involve a fight, harsh words, ignorance, hatred or strife. Candy said she had never been in here when there wasn’t some kind of “drama”. Candy continued, “There was no drama, everyone treated each other like old friends”.

Here’s some background on Cary. He sang with a few soul groups during the 80’s. He sang in competition at the Apollo Theatre in Harlem three times and finished first twice. Cary is a true music professional who does his thing and makes a good living at it with his wife Mallory. Cary said at first when Mallory saw all the ladies hugging and kissing him in greeting she “got a look on her face”. Cary told her, “Baby it ain’t like that…watch!” Saturday Night was magic.

Shelly related that even though her “Ex” came in the bar to torque her and bring her grief, she felt so good she didn’t really care if he stayed, left or what he said. The Owner was there too. Candy related he was feeling good also and drank enough to feel good for a whole lot of folks. It was also related that the Owner also had some mild concern about how much was in the register given the size of the crowd.

Filsy the Print-Man who does the printing for the Bar showed up with Brad (older brother of the late Moe who used to get drinks for free). Cary was dressed in a super fine dark suit that shimmered softly in any light. Cary excused himself cause he had to get home. Shaking hands with the guys, he then hugged Shelly and Candy as he left.

I was sorry I missed Kareoke Night. I’m not sorry that it blew the breeze of fraternity, community and love through the musty walls of this ancient dive.

Love!

R.J.

2 comments:

SD said...

Awesome choice of pics...you're a bigtime BLOGGER!

Reuben James said...

Thanks,

This was a little different. Much listening, trying to catch that vibe. It was really something to watch someone speak and really listen.

RJ