Bar Stories Wanted

Do you have a great bar story that you would like to see featured at 1762 Broadway?

Drop us an EMAIL with the juicy details to get it posted.

9.17.2007

OATH

We associate ourselves together for the following purposes:To uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States of America; to maintain law and order; to foster and perpetuate a one hundred percent Americanism; to preserve the memories and incidents of our associations in the Great Wars; to inculcate a sense of individual obligation to the community, state and nation; to combat the autocracy of both the classes and the masses; to make right the master of might; to promote peace and goodwill on earth; to safeguard and transmit to posterity the principles of justice, freedom and democracy; to consecrate and sanctify our comradeship by our devotion to mutual helpfulness. (Preamble: Constitution of the American Legion).

On Friday, I found myself again giving honors to a man who lived this life selflessly for others. Another in whose shadow I stand. Young boys and girls have taken up the oath, “I …..do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice (and/or State Constitution.) So help me God”

Beyond the lies told us by those who have bastardized powers given by the people, beyond the speeches given by politicians who never had to fire a weapon in service of this nation, beyond the parades and the displays of patriotism, is the real American, the patriot. The patriot can be spotted if you look hard enough. But we don’t.

We take for granted we can talk shit about anyone, sleep with anyone, worship anywhere and go everywhere we want when we want.We can buy anything our hearts desire and wear it, drive it, use it or give it away anytime we choose. We forget that this nation got this way because some 17 year old kid, 18 year old high school graduate, 19 year old hard ass believes that he or she can stand up with anyone and take his or her place on line and dish it out just as good as those who went before them. When they return to the “world” after their tour of duty, they work to live their lives and hide their scars.

Some scars are physical, those maimed or missing limbs are obvious, some scars are hidden by clothing, an upbeat personality and a smile. Some scars are on the hearts, souls and minds. These are too easily hidden by an average life, easy going personality and fun loving spirit. Friday Night, 14 September 2007, my heart ached from the pain. My soul ached from the scars, my body ached from the scar tissue. I always need prayer, but I also wanted a drink.

I walked in and Shelly was behind the bar, a few regulars in attendance doing what they usually do, Hector and Ellie were there trying to get to the jukebox, the Met Fan looking at the screen and shaking his head in disbelief. But what got my attention was Candy. Candy was talking to Limpin' Pimp. Limpin' was in a deep discussion with Candy. I should say he was listening to a deep discussion by Candy.

I saw her demeanor was visibly different from her usual self. It wasn’t just another patron wearing their drinking mask and pretending to be social. The body language was intimidating, the eye contact like a lazer on a target. I really didn’t care what this conversation was about, I just knew it wasn’t another barroom chat about the Jets. I saw a monster being humanized, I saw trepidation, I saw humility, yes…I even saw regret in Limpin' Pimp.

It was then I remembered something Candy told me once. It was obvious, it wasn’t that hard to see. When she got finished with the Pimp (I actually saw him wipe sweat off his face) she returned to her drink and greeted me. I had several conversations that evening, but I don’t remember much. No, its not the alcohol causing blackout recall, I recall the mood in this dive afterward.
Before the night crowd of late 20’s early 30’s coke seeking, rockaholics got to the jukebox, Candy was trying to shaking off the exhaustion from a hard week and a tough conversation.

She hides it well, but I could tell she never betrayed the oath.

Ellie got to the jukebox. Ellie and Candy put on a dance display that would have made Dick Clark envious. I remember the way they moved (no hoochie-cooism about it) sensuously, well endowed female frames flowing with raw excitement. Not a sound, every man and woman in the dive had their eyes glued to Ellie and Candy. Inflamed thoughts gave way to the thrill in their dance. The place kinda sparkled, it became alive. Nothing nasty but nice, nothing perverse but positive.

Wow. Then “La Isla Bonita” played (Madonna) and Candy tried to get me to dance, I let her know I could barely walk let alone dance. So she danced in front of me. Everything became electric. Forget the regular excitement a man gets from having a super fine woman dance in front of him, I was thrilled, flush with the heat that comes from where enchantment meets fascination. Conscious control of my body deserted me, It was like a mouse before a cobra.

There is a line in that song that goes, “beautiful faces, no cares in this world, where a girl loves a boy, and a boy loves a girl.” I could hear laughter breaking out in the front of the bar, I could hear the music from the jukebox, I could only see Candy. Candy’ with her eyes, reached into me in a way I think, reminiscent of a priestess of Vedan. For a moment I couldn’t breath, until after a light touch to my hands and a light kiss on my cheek. The sting of death was no longer with me.

Lawd Have Mercy! I was relieved, my body hurt a little less and I could see everything now. What an amazing gift. That brings me back to a patriot. I received something that can’t be quantified or bought. That’s what freedom is. Its not what satisfies your body, but inflames and spreads the passion to give. Some fool kid is going to obey a ‘lawful order’, some fool kid may die following that order, and for what? Even if this current conflict started on a lie, the end of the matter is, You!

Ellie and Candy got off the dance floor. The crowd began to change and the music did too. I left before the mood changed. I started to think about my existence and what we choose to live for. I say live for, because that is essentially what we die for. If you haven’t figured it out, I’ll tell you, Love (not lust) renders death insignificant. You can’t take an oath without love.

From 1917 till now a teenager takes an oath. In these years the highest influx of volunteers joined the Armed Services. You might see them in Parades or at Memorials. They wear the uniforms or awards they won as a reminder for us who easily dismiss this life we live as granted. What you don’t see is that they are with you every day showing you in some ethereal or existential way, how to live.

Duty is the highest love, love confirmed by an oath. This love is not lust. Its doing what is right or necessary, not because of what you feel – but doing the most right despite what you feel. Candy took an oath once, just like I did. I wonder, did she stay for her entertainment or was she performing a duty of selflessness”? This time a Soldier helped out a Marine. Love!

2 comments:

SD said...

Enjoyed this one. Especially when morality is looking into the devilish soul of the immoral and making it cringe and run and hide! Wish I was there to see it.

Reuben James said...

Thanks! I knew a drama when I saw one. Talk to 'Candy' about this 'fiction'. You might get a different take.

RJ