Bar Stories Wanted

Do you have a great bar story that you would like to see featured at 1762 Broadway?

Drop us an EMAIL with the juicy details to get it posted.

9.13.2007

No Shooting Tonight

I consider it an act of duty, the privilege of honoring a fellow American Legionnaire. Wednesday night was tough for me emotionally. When you come from a wake and see people moved by the flags, the symbols, the colors, the songs and finally taps…. I take away the pride that goes with what we do for our country and am humbled that I can stand in the shadow of warriors who were before me.

I was emotionally unable to shoot pool, but I got a message about a mysterious place in Franklin Square called “Point Break”. I followed the poor directions I got and could not find the place. I cruised the area four times, east and west, and then gave up. I attempted to make contact with the ‘Captain’ of our team. Not to be reached. Yeah, I headed South and found my way to the Corner. Shelly was on duty, Timmy was in the house and Gin was still hanging around.

When I arrived my ‘Captain’ YL (Yaega Lee) was in attendance. She let me know her phone was broken and that she would not attempt to go there alone. (YL said she wasn’t quite sure how to get there). So what did we do? I conspired with Timmy on some tunes, then YL danced around me a little while. (Not a bad way to come down from being choked up). The gamers were on the ‘Buck Hunt’ machine, SD was in the house and Croc showed up too.

Croc had good and bad news, I being the way I am asked for the bad news first. He will be leaving for Buffalo at the end of the week. Then he gave me the good news, he will be running a restaurant for a friend of his in Buffalo, a nice three star establishment that is going to accord him lodging and a nice income. He can do this while pursuing the job of his dreams. (If you don’t know, I won’t tell you). He will be back and forth, definitely finding times around the holidays.

More regulars started appearing as the night wore on. Timmy was the toast of the dance floor, Gin wrapped herself around him like the stripes on a barber poll. Ellie was on the video game console up front, SD and Croc recounted the weekends events. Music was putting everyone in a really easy mood, YL left and headed for home. Leaving me with the Met Fan to watch the ball games and listen to his take on the Jets being cheated.

As the evening headed for the midnight hour more of the crowd floated in, Xaun, (big West Indian who I think rips power trains out of cars), ERL, and Father L came in. ERL and Xaun shoot pool for a bar down the street. Timmy’s nephew, Woody, who works for the School District, showed up also. Finally Hector caught up with Ellie and headed for the door.

I got my mind off of the grief for a few and decompressed my mind. I left SD with Shelly and Croc. I will see what I can do to have dinner with Croc before he steps on the plane. See y’all later. Do indeed….Love!

RJ

No comments: