Bar Stories Wanted

Do you have a great bar story that you would like to see featured at 1762 Broadway?

Drop us an EMAIL with the juicy details to get it posted.

9.17.2007

Easy Sunday Afternoon (A Good Sight for Bad Eyes)

Another late Sunday afternoon and all the games are on. YaegaLee is behind the bar and some of the regulars are in the house. Zu’ was there, the Met Fan showed up later, other familiar faces came and went, Biker Bob made his usual stop at the watering hole. Along with Zu’ was K-Cee and her ‘significant other’ Ka’tee. K-Cee (member menhaters) and I go back aways.

I was with K-Cee on New Years Eve back in 2000, with her family, including her daughter. I was invited, I like to think because she liked me. It was a lot of fun and I thought I might have had a shot at being someone she could be with. K-Cee is a tough woman with a love for living life. One day in 2001 at another drinking establishment she told me she was ‘switching teams’ she was going to be with women exclusively.

I was devastated by the announcement. We had gone to see a B.B. King concert and had a great time. I had wondered what the hell I did to make her wanna do what she did. But K-Cee elaborated, she did tell me why she went that way. She was married to a man that took an oath, a man that wore a badge. A man that died in the line of duty. She had his daughter and doesn’t want any man in her life that can be viewed as taking his place by her daughter.

After halfway through the second bottle of Jack in a pity party weekend, I started to wrap my head around why K-Cee did what she did. She had been in the bar before but I didn’t get to talk to her. Today I did talk to her, she kicked my butt in pool. (She could always shoot pretty good) She stayed for a couple of hours and left early. She keeps tight reins on her daughter.

Yaega Lee and I partnered up to shoot against K-Cee and Ka’tee (well built European woman with European features and no love for men). We lost. I don’t stand very well given the pain so it does effect my shooting (Yeah, I’m making excuses). But K-Cee is one I consider a dear friend, her bright skin and fleeing freckles go with her wicked smile.

Zu’ stuck around. She danced around me, or danced me around – holding me tight. She swore no one could recognize her without her hat. I recognized her right way. She always takes my mind off of me. I get to asking her about what she’s doing because I know she has gone through some rough times too. She gets me thinking about that line from “Tears of A Clown” (Smokey Robinson) “if there’s a smile on my face, its only there trying to fool the public…”.

SD came in later and we talked about some weird behavior from a former bartender at this old and illustrious establishment. Chucky and his four legged buddy also stopped by. But for now I’m thankful for an easy Sunday afternoon. I knew it was getting late when Shelly came on duty and Sunday Night Football began to get fuzzy. Hey, spend some time e-mailing someone you haven’t spoke to in a while. Love.

2 comments:

SD said...

"She was married to a man that took an oath, a man that wore a badge. A man that died in the line of duty. She had his daughter and doesn’t want any man in her life that can be viewed as taking his place by her daughter." -- Wow, that is some heavy stuff.

Reuben James said...

If this wasn't 'fiction' it would be painfully devistating to one who could live through this.
Even painfull for close friends.