Bar Stories Wanted

Do you have a great bar story that you would like to see featured at 1762 Broadway?

Drop us an EMAIL with the juicy details to get it posted.

5.10.2008

Happy Mother's Day

It's Saturday night, and we all know that tomorrow is Mother's Day.......Happy Mother's Day to all you mothers and also to all of you MOTHERS out there (lol).

Anyway, I just happened to acquire a 2 - 3 hour pass from the warden so of course I took full advantage of this opportunity. Before the pass was granted I was taken to the "Bay House" (located in Meadowmere, NY [for those of you who don't know, this establishment is on the borderline of Queens, so from Penninsula Blvd. you would make a left and proceed forward to Brookville Blvd. Then you would make a left turn and after that you are on your own] by boat for dinner and drinks. My friend who we will call "Blondie" also attended.

When we arrived at the dock outside the establishment I was somewhat surprised we had to wait a few minutes for a much larger boat to leave in order for us to dock. It seems that due to the recent freaky weather, high tides and who knows what else, that part of their ample dock space had floated away during this time. (Whatever... we waited for the bigger vessel to leave and then it was all good. I'm sure this will be rectified soon because that's a big part of their summer business).

After all the maritime stuff was taken care of (tying up, etc.) , we entered the "Bay House". I have actually patronized this bar/restaurant many times and I have to say that I like it there during the warmer months. Although, watching the tide tables when you go is absolutely necessary (if it's high tide you will be sleeping in your vehicle) the food is good and the employees are friendly and very attentive.

Much to my surprise, and a good one it was, there was live music being performed by a young gentleman. An acoustic guitar and microphone was all this 24 year old needed. I was so impressed by this young man who sang everything from Johnny Cash (The Turtles, Allman Bros., Beach Boys, Dylan, etc.) to the Foo Fighters. He actually is talented enough that when he sang a certain song he would sound just like the original performer. If you can sing a Bon Jovi tune and sound just like John Bon Jovi and then sing a Doors song and sound just like Jim Morrison, you are good. I happen to have an ear for music, this makes me very critical when I hear it performed live, and I didn't hear a sharp or flat note from this kid (if I did it would have made me crazy). He was so young and singing songs that were so old....I couldn't believe it!

Of course, being who I am, I requested a few songs (just to test him) and he performed them so well that I have to give props. He calls himself "The Human I-Pod". His real name is Frederick J. Maloney and he is available for venues such as block parties, private parties, weddings, corporate events, etc. His phone number is (516)305-1575 and you can e-mail him at Badsinger57@yahoo.com (funny because he's a great singer). If you don't believe me visit his "My Space" page at www.myspace.com/silaswoodmusic to hear him. You will be impressed, I'm sure of it.

Okay, so after dinner and drinks at "The Bay House", my friend "Blondie" and I visited "1762 Broadway Lounge (the former "Corner"). We walked in the back door (8:00 or so) and found Mr. E's brother (we'll call him "Derrick" for now) behind the bar. He looks just like Mr. E but he's a few years older. A few other people including Derricks wife were sitting at the bar too. They were all very nice, friendly people and "Blondie" and I immediately felt at home. We ordered our drinks and "Derrick" served them promptly. He's just as nice as Mr. E, outgoing, friendly and a very good bartender.

Then Mr. E arrived with stock. "Blondie" commented about her previous request for a certain liquor (which to me is gross and looks like Pepto-Bismal) which was not in the box he brought in. Mr. E, wanting to oblige everyone, then went back to the liquor store to obtain the requested "Barf in a bottle" for her. And he did. He then bought her a shot of this puke along with "Derrick" and himself. Turns out they had never tried this girly drink before. Maybe they liked it or maybe they just have manners but they agreed with "Blondie" and will keep it in stock just for her. Savvy business tactics if you ask me.

Being that my "lockdown" time was 10:00, we left shortly after that. I did see "Cho", "Chuckles" and "The Gorton's Fisherman" before my departure which was a relief. I work days and this past week has been on and off. Rumors and badmouthing by a former employee aside, I can see a future for this place. Be it with or without the former patrons (who gave their money to the former ogre) , business is going well and we will overcome the bad. Good always wins over evil. I had fun so it must be good.

Until next time....................RRRRRRRR

No comments: