Bar Stories Wanted

Do you have a great bar story that you would like to see featured at 1762 Broadway?

Drop us an EMAIL with the juicy details to get it posted.

5.12.2008

The Feel Of A Woman

“What’s the matter RJ.?” “G” stared at me expecting an answer. Some souls are born with an ability to pick up a vibe, a feeling, “G” was one of those. Then there are those who not only pick up a ‘vibe’ or feeling but can interpret exactly what it is and stare unabashedly into your soul as if you stand naked before a mirror or a medical examination. Thankfully “G”, is not one of those.

I told
“G” as I sat that Thursday afternoon at ‘Bronkos’ that “I’m just sorting out my life and deciding what to do next, nothing important.” “G” had cooked me one of those juicy ‘Bronko Burgers’ with the home made fries piping hot, fresh off the grill. As I ate, she served beer and booze to her old regulars and she stopped long enough to make her point after we caught up on old classmates, plans, and intentions. She didn’t ask about the Met Fan today.

“’RJ’, why don’t you relax a little more, you don’t have to go to court anymore and you seem just a little bit bewildered, like your looking for something and its not there.”
“G” was half right, I was looking for conflict and there was none, my blood pressure was down and I was feeling better physically, but I was also feeling quite empty emotionally.

So I asked her,
“’G’ what do you suggest? I don’t know what else to do but travel and I can’t get away right now.” ‘G’ suggested a ‘staycation’? “What?” ‘G’ reiterated, a ‘staycation’, “find a way to relax around here, don’t travel far and have a little fun, don’t take life or yourself so seriously.” “Where do I do that?” ‘G’ pointed at the bulletins posted in the bar and said “why don’t you come out and listen to ‘GENERATORS’ on Saturday Night?”

I drank my tonic water and said, “OK, I will.” So when Saturday Night rolled around I went. But before that I visited Ruby at
‘1762 Broadway Lounge’ and Shelly at ‘On The Rocks’. I found out at 1762 from Cho’ his kid did great with the heart surgery and I was elated. I caught up with Dorn and a few others. I left when that creepy old guy who always wears shorts and talks about kids showed up.

At ‘On The Rocks’ I ran into SD and a few old regulars,
Candy showed up a little later and I was glad to see her. Hector and Elly were there and Elly talked with Candy about her wedding for a while and left. Then Candy talked at length to me about going back to Church and getting my soul calmed down, I told her what I thought about that.

Then
Candy looked right at me and ‘stared into my soul, then she told me what she thought I should do. That was almost as pleasant as a cavity search. But Candy and ‘G’ were preaching the same thing, I needed to relax and get away from myself. (I know that sounds crazy but its not) So I left Candy and Shelly that night, walking in the cold rain, thinking about my life and its problems that I can’t quite seem to put down.

Saturday afternoon I went to
Bronko’s and watched the first half of the Mets doubleheader and enjoyed the 12-6 pummeling the Mets put on the Reds. Bosslady scolded me when I talked about the Mets ability to hold a lead. “Quiet! Don’t Jinx them!” OK. So I asked Bosslady about Generators when Mo’ came in to relieve her. Mo’ encouraged me to come back. I promised her I would if I didn’t pass out after going home for a while.

(
Mo’ is a woman, mid 20’s, blond, thin and stunning, she is a mix between Gweneth Paltrow, Goldie Hawn and Twiggy. She has captivating Norse features even though she wears no make up.)

I sat down and ran into a few of the Town regulars and some of the Trades crew that night as
Generators played to a mostly 40’s and 50’s aged crowd. I had got an Irish beer and watched as the dance floor filled with couples dancing the night away. Sitting down next to me as the old timers made space for him was a young man in his 30’s, dressed like a working local, his white cane gave him away, he was blind.

As the female drummer broke into Janis Joplin’s ‘Me and Bobby McGee the
Blind Man made his way to the dance floor. He was moving in rhythm and everybody on the floor looked out for him. A cute strawberry blonde I’ll call ‘Dolly’ mid 30’s woman who still had her looks and a wonderful natural endowment about 40 D, tight jeans and the hips to go in them, stepped in front of the Blind Man.

I was at the far end of the bar near the entrance and the music was loud but I saw everything.
Dolly took hold of his hands and put them on her hips, they swayed gently to the hard rhythms and the band fed on their heat. The female drummer broke into a different beat and the band followed as she played Roxette’s, ‘She’s Got the Look’.

The dance floor was electric and things got hot as
Dolly guided the blind mans hands from her face, down her neck, across and down her heaving revealing cleavage, down her stomach and back around her hips toward her nice firm backside. It was one of the most selfless, seductive, sensuous moments I ever witnessed in this life. The Blind Man found his way back to his seat and reached in vain for his beer, which I led him to quickly due to his obvious trembling.

As the night wore on and the bar closed, I found myself thinking about the night. I thought about my life in constant pain and roller coaster depressions, but I wouldn’t trade a minuet of it to be in the shoes of the man who stepped out on his faith. The reward for his willingness to take to the rhythm was not just the scent of, but to feel a woman in a selfless, wonderful expression of what 60’s music is all about…..love. I’m going to make some changes to my heart, hope you do too.

RJ

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was a very nice entry. Sorry you are feeling antsy and in need of a break but it happens to everyone at some time.

I'm happy you saw "Candy". She's a breath of fresh air and I miss her at the old dive. Everyone does.

Feel better soon...that staycation sounded like a great idea to me. Good advice from a smart person.