Bar Stories Wanted

Do you have a great bar story that you would like to see featured at 1762 Broadway?

Drop us an EMAIL with the juicy details to get it posted.

12.27.2007

Reflections

I want to thank all of you who follow this blog. When S.D. asked me to contribute I thought I would tell drinking tales and of the good fun we often have in the Ancient Dive. I was encouraged to do a little more than just tell stories and I did. I wanted this to be relevant and real as it was fictional and connived. (Sometimes much fact got confused for fiction – sometimes clarity can be found in the bottom of a bottle)

I have been accused of being mean to being too sensitive in the treatment of all kinds of subjects this year. I would take the criticism with a grain or two of salt if my blood pressure wasn’t so bad. So I do take what little input I have received with a little honey and a shot, it helps physical pain as much as emotional upheavals. We as a ‘crowd’ have shared so much together. Some of you may ask “like what?” Let me take this time to remind you.

In August last when we started we addressed: Dogfights (Vick), bar fights, disrespect; in September we had Kareoke and that Woodstock/Gospel kind of feeling, distractions from living, men in kilts and men in trouble. Reminiscing of a man who lived at least three different lives (i.e., me) and revolving bartenders, patriotism, honors and the respect due Veterans, fools easily seduced by beautiful women who dance for passion alone (i.e., me, well maybe not just me).

S.D. dealt with the lies and hypocrisy of high priced athletes without conscience and low life leaders without honor. We addressed lifestyle issues and personal preferences be they religious, sexual or bound by tradition. In October, we dealt with short stories based on tough issues like Solara with assault, humiliation and degradation, ‘lesbian nights’, and long short stories about separation and debauchery, what you don’t hear about military deployment. Scaryoke Night was a wonderful escape into alter ego’s, the pregnant nun blew my mind.



November and December drove home for all of us that which we have all shared the most. Not shots from a ‘Yaegermeister’ bottle, but a bitter cup. We all lost people, we lost people who worked at and drank at the Ancient Dive. We all lost loved ones. Brothers, Sisters, Fathers, Friends, we all shared each others loss on some level. Somehow it hurt worse as Thanksgiving and Christmas came upon us. ‘Biker Bob’ was the last to loose someone, he lost a brother.



In all this bitterness we shared it was a blessing to celebrate two birthdays and a life as December comes to a close and another year starts another cadence of days we seek to survive. Gin and Miss Lilly did have quite a birthday.


I did have a good time until I slipped after bumping into someone with the pool cue (don’t ever get hurt), waves of pain rippled through my body, mind and soul. It was a nice party. I’m so glad for a new life and Miss Lilly’s happiness.

I pray the new year brings, peace, prosperity, love and happiness to all of you. Be safe so we can see each other again. (O.K. Be safe until we see each other again! Some of you may not want to see me)

Take Care,
RJ

No comments: