Bar Stories Wanted

Do you have a great bar story that you would like to see featured at 1762 Broadway?

Drop us an EMAIL with the juicy details to get it posted.

12.09.2007

New Bartender


Somehow life does dish out what we put into it, sometimes we get what we give. My week sucked. I’m tired of bad news about my health. I work so hard to stay healthy and life dishes out what it will. Life’s a bitch and then you die. Forgive me if I fight off the die part. I wanted to go away. I packed up and planned it. So much for plans when you find out your health is not good and you have a diagnosis that stresses you out more than you are already.

I went to the dive to see the Jets play Miami, the Jets won. I watched the Giants play Chicago, the Bears were all in the Giants backside, but the Giants won. Both teams overcoming their own fuck ups to win on the same Sunday. (Was this a divine message or my mind playing games on itself?) I walked in and ERL, Yaega, Timmy and one of the young guys were in the dive on the bowling machine/game.

The Met Fan showed up a little later and we watched both the Jets and Giants games. Cary walked in, just finished a gig down the road and stopped in for a while. We talked about music, life, religion, travel and the regulars at the dive. He reflected warmly about a talk he had with Candy. (Most everybody does). We talked a little about ecclesiastic history and the Canon of Scripture, we then had more to drink. Cary had to get home before six o’clock. He didn’t make it.

I thought about my house, how cold it would be when I got home. Then Timmy brought me back to earth and I played some tunes. Doc eased in and took up residence at the front end of the bar. He was his usual self, easy going and quite relaxed. It was a cold nasty day, but the crowd was really right, but it did get better with a surprise, at least for me.

I thought about Thanksgiving weekend and my time upstate in Ulster County, the wedding I performed, the drunken hunters who returned without Bambi and my long walk in the woods with a yellow Labrador retriever. (The dog went with me to mark the spot If I fell, that is piss on me if I stopped, then the dog might have notified its master). Yaega brought me back to reality when she let me know my glass was empty. Yaega was 15 minuets from ‘end of shift’.

Then a slender, sexy well built woman with dark hair and appealing latin features walked in and greeted Yaega and was ready to get behind the bar and go to work. It was her first day. Yaega introduced Rhoda to everybody in the ancient dive. The regulars put Rhoda at ease very quickly and let her know she was already one of the crowd. What was even more reassuring to Rhoda and the regulars is that she brought some of her regulars from her other workplace with her.

Rhoda was gracious, decent, attentive and cordial, I believe in time our hard bitten group of outlaws will break these wonderful traits. Yaega and ERL shot some pool in the back when Evie showed up. No shit, drama, trauma and craziness. Evie’s eyes rolled like dice and I thought I saw her tongue flick like a snakes (I was only drinking beer) ERL took her out back, I only heard Evie, she stormed out and left. Yaega took ERL home.

About that time Chucky came in and the place returned to its easy going, fun loving ways. Everybody was into the games in the back or just talking. Rhoda seemed to find a fast friend in Doc. They talked a lot and Doc smiled a little more than usual (that was nice to see). I got to talk to Rhoda only to find out she knows Dino (like for several years). Dino was supposed to be there but probably got preoccupied.

Rhoda also told me she was there Friday night checking the place out and had a long talk with a very nice, super cool lady, who filled her in on a lot of the past events in the dive. I asked Rhoda who this lady was, “Candy,” “she is just a breath of fresh air.” (Another person infected by Candy’s irrepressible vivacity) Rhoda also said Bossman was coming to the dive to check on her. I determined then I shouldn’t stay too long.

Rhoda works on Wednesday Night, she will be there to run the dive while the Pool Team marches on. (May as well march the way we’ve been shooting).



Love



RJ

No comments: