Bar Stories Wanted

Do you have a great bar story that you would like to see featured at 1762 Broadway?

Drop us an EMAIL with the juicy details to get it posted.

4.06.2008

Dino's Birthday Party

“It's like candy…I can feel it when you walk…Even when you talk it takes over meYou're so dandy….I wanna know…..Can you feel it too just like I do” my blackberry played the Cameo tune loudly. It’s the ringtone I selected for Candy. I was amazed and surprised. I didn’t hear from her for over two weeks, I nearly dropped my blackberry hurrying to answer the call.

We quickly caught up with each other about family and then got to the subject of the evening. Candy said that tonight (Friday Night) was Dino’s Birthday and they were throwing a party for him at the ancient dive. I told her about my plans for the evening, I would be attending a wine tasting at a local liquor store by a gent who plans on selling high end wines.

Candy said she would be at the dive for a short time to say happy birthday and leave. I told her I would show up after the wine tasting.

I showed up and many of the regulars were there, Candy was right in front of me as I entered, Cho’, Evie, ERL, Gino’s brother Mikey, and even Breezy was there. The man in the suit at the front end of the bar ‘Midtown’ (always in a business suit) was quietly enjoying his drink as I sat down with Candy. I found both Ruby and Shelly behind the bar. A nice buffet was laid out and I went and wished Dino a happy birthday. He was already feeling no pain and on his way to being classically Dino before the night was through.

Every time I approached Candy to follow up on our conversation, someone would pop-up to intrude. So I dropped a $20 in the box and played tunes. I talked to Ruby who told me about Bossman removing the ‘Rainbow sign’ and informing S.D. of this event. I asked “S.D. came in the dive? When?” Ruby then said she e-mailed him about this event. Given S.D.’s unbridled love for the dive, I didn’t wonder why it did not make the blog.

Candy didn’t stay long, but I stayed to see if I could find out what has happened in the last three weeks, something was different about the dive. Shelly told me that she is having the picture in the St. Patricks Day ad blown up for display. I’m glad she liked it. During the evening Dino tried to shoot pool while Evie flashed her heaving bare tits at him. Shelly needed a distraction to get the cake out and sing happy birthday. Evie did indeed distract Dino.

During the evening a parade of regulars streamed in and out, I got to speak to BeyBey, Chucky, The Met Fan, Raul, and yes, the Pimp showed up and bought liquor for everyone. As the evening wore on Dino became his very animated, verbally boisterous other self. I tried to shoot a game of pool with him but he was preoccupied with Evie’s chest. Eventually ‘Dino’ got to the ‘fuck’em all stage so I found something else to do before I left. I met the new bartender who will be working Friday Nights.

Jaynee is a very pretty well built young blonde who has been working at the dive for about a week. Her friend, Raven (black hair) is also a real nice woman. I spent a little time showing Jaynee how to pour a black and tan and informed her how to do this with beers other than Harps or Bass Ale. I found a few friends that enjoyed the half Guiness-half Heinekens as well other half Guiness concoctions quite nicely.

As it got past 10:00 pm, the crowd changed. Now others I never seen before came in, the music changed, the mood changed. It got kind of cold in the dive, even though the doors were closed. To break the ice I introduced myself as I found my way out the door. I work hard not to be forward or even be construed as disrespectful, when I bid good night to some of the evening partygoers and we introduced ourselves some did not give their names and were condescending.
I said goodnight to Dino, and got the fuck out. The crowd at Bronkos was a whole lot friendlier as we all rocked out to the sounds of JEEBUS. No one turned there nose up at me either. Candy told me not to stay at the dive too long. I should have listened.

RJ

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gino's party was going well until the "backstabber" came on shift and disrespected him. She was worried that her so called friends would be offended by him being there. That pissed off alot of people (us) and she showed her true colors (snob). Needless to say, the regulars stuck around, her "friends" were unsociable to them and one of her girlfriends ended up behind the bar to help her (a huge no-no and proof that she sucks as a bartender. She couldn't handle business due to her ADD and broke the cardinal rule of letting someone behind the bar during her shift). Yet, the new owner is keeping her on. Nepitism is prevalent.