Bar Stories Wanted

Do you have a great bar story that you would like to see featured at 1762 Broadway?

Drop us an EMAIL with the juicy details to get it posted.

2.14.2008

Rubbing It In: Mistaken Assumptions


I went to the Ancient Dive on Sunday and as I was walking in, Biker Bob and Schmack were walking out. Biker Bob said he went skiing and was wiped out (Knowing Biker Bob chases ladies, I wondered what other slopes he went down on). Schmack was with him and apparently didn’t start any avalanches or crash into any trees. I went inside the dive and found ERL, Cho, Evie, Blues Man and of course, Yaega was behind the bar. I was looking forward to an easy going Sunday and watch the Pro Bowl.

To my pleasant surprise, I saw Bernie, Shannon and their daughter Lolita. I hadn’t seen him in a long while, not since Bear and Star’s wedding. I had a long talk with him about how he’s doing and what’s going on with his life and found that things aren’t looking so good but they are hanging on. Shannon told me she’s had several blood transfusions and plasma infusions. Shannon said that her liver is failing. Shannon was drinking the hard stuff.

Lolita and Shannon wanted to play music but couldn’t figure out the high tech jukebox that Bossman has on the wall. So I helped out. We played music well after the Pro Bowl. Lolita looks like she is almost 17 years old (a real hot piece of jail bait). Lolita’s I.D. was checked scrupulously by Yaega. Lolita is 21 according to her I.D. and she is apparently not talking about her employment or educational prospects. She listened to the music with Shannon.

During the afternoon, Cary eased in and out and Chucky showed up very briefly to have a beer. While in attendance Belli-Kiss came in. I didn’t say anything to him but he comes right up to me and says “O.K. so you won”. I told him the Giants won because somebody like him went to Vegas and convinced a bunch of mobbed up bookies to give up that outrageous line. That is why many of them are in debt, paying back that debt in some very twisted ways or their missing.

Belli-Kiss again started talking that same head up ass shit about Belichik being the greatest coach of all time. I stared at my beer shook my head and started moving down the bar. Belli-Kiss said, “O.K., I’ll try not to be annoying but the man did go 18-0 with the Patriots, he put a team together with great draft picks and found some of the best veterans in the league to anchor down that team. That makes him a genius..”. I said then what does that make COUGHLIN?

“The way the offense for the Giants was being run against the ‘best veterans in the league’ must be cosmic calculus. That makes Coach Coughlin a super genius or a man who out coached a super ego.” I went on to say that the best team won the biggest game of the season, I put the emphasis on ‘Team’ indicating every one on the Giants were working together. Belli-Kiss turned red.

I stared at my beer and said three more things that pissed him off. I said, “Belichik did not have a perfect season, he lost the Superbowl, he had a loosing piss poor attitude and ran off the field as fast as he could at the end of the Game. And, if Belichik is such a genius, how come he couldn’t figure out how to keep his quarterback from getting the shit knocked out of him.” Next thing I knew he was talking more stupid shit and wanted to fight. I got up to leave.

The night bartender, Rhoda came on and told him to shut up, get quiet, or get out. He got out. (He ran out of money, and I wasn’t financing idiocy) Yaega stayed around for a little while and hung out with Bernie and Shannon. Doc came in for the view (Rhoda is real good looking and Doc seems to be around when she’s working). We talked about our health, my nephew who I tried to put on the straight and narrow and the fact that kids don’t see the world as it is. What else is new.

As Yaega left I advised her it will be a while before I get back around the dive. I still couldn’t get a black and tan, I still couldn’t get any of five beers I asked to drink. There was Guiness on tap that was warmer than room temperature and it still didn’t taste right in semi cool glass. I moved on.

RJ

No comments: