Bar Stories Wanted

Do you have a great bar story that you would like to see featured at 1762 Broadway?

Drop us an EMAIL with the juicy details to get it posted.

2.04.2008

Around The Fire


New Years Eve 2007 – I went to N.F’s on New Years Eve and New Years Day. Actually I’d been there for more than a few days and it was really nice. All of us ‘crazy folk’ who met during the past year did so much to add to the joy of each others lives, it was both funny and downright frightening.

I learned about human nature and human depravity. I learned how dangerous we all are on some level. I found out just how selfish and how selfless we as people can be.

New Years Eve at N.F’s was really different and eye opening. Fred and Ricky came up along with Ben and Becky, Darleene and Rinney. Darleene is an older lady in her mid 60’s and her son Rinney is absolutely ‘RedNeck’.

They sold their house bought some land and live in a very desolate area of upstate New York. Rinney can hunt and kill anything. He talks real slow, very skinny, very shy. Rinney is an excellent mechanic and is absolutely at ease in total darkness.

Lucky and Tina also showed up as well as a number of different souls during the evening. We celebrated the fact N.F. and Elly got back into their own home. N.F. set up the portable firepit that Becky brought with her in the side of the yard off the huge picture window off the kitchen. We rolled out reclining chairs in the snow covered ground. The barren trees gave a spooky kind of feeling to the cold moonlit night. Yet in the snow and cold, we gathered round the fire.

As we sat around the fire Becky insisted that we ‘testify’ to our shortcomings as people. Needless to say in this cold night around a fire, awaiting the New Year we all had alcohol, and that in quantities that were almost obscene. N.F. went first. “I thought I could live life all by myself, hunt, work, drink and fix cars without anything else, but Elly changed my life. That’s why I’m getting on my knees right now.” N.F. knelt in the snow and proposed to Elly, again.

He produced a huge diamond ring and asked her to marry him, again. (More work for me) Elly melted in his arms and it was a sweet moment where everybody said “AWWW”. Ben went on a rant about how his life was nothing without Becky. Becky shut him up and threatened to rape him in the snow if he didn’t calm down. Ben said, “I can’t get it up in the snow.” Becky said, “Yes you can!. Think!” Ben looked down at his crotch and sat down quickly.

Fred said that he had a great life, great grand kids and a wonderful wife, he just wished he could have provided better and spent more time with his kids. Darleene regretted the accident that left her partially maimed but was thankful that she still had a good life. Elly was thankful for the day she met N.F. and cried while looking at the rock N.F. put on her finger. Lucky said that he didn’t deserve Tina although he had a shit fit when she talked about breast reduction.

Tina regretted that her son, who turned 19, had become a ‘faggot’. Tina blamed herself for not being tougher on him in life, Tina wanted her son to be a man not a ‘punk’. Rinney cleared his throat and stood up as the fire started shooting sparks and the warm flames comforted us on this cold New Years Eve. Rinney picked up his drink, we all went silent. He looked at us and smiled as he began to speak.

“Now, I’ve had it rough, I ain’t that smart, I ain’t good lookin’ and I ain’t rich. But I’ve got a new girlfriend, I got a good running car, a dog that comes running when I call and good friends that care if I die. I don’t know if much else is worth having…” That got even me in the gut. Rinney toasted all he had to live for, cause, as he said, “that’s all I need to die for.” He may be dumb as hell, but has a heart as big as the Ridge.

That left me and Ricky. I spoke before he did. I admitted I wasn’t the warmest person on the planet and that I thought my yesterdays were a whole lot better than the here and now. I thanked all of them for allowing me into their lives and being a part of some very significant moments in their lives. I felt quite humbled that any of them felt anything for me, how rednecks in a heavily wooded area could treat me like family.

N.F. said, “We have 39 feet of rope and six acres of trees, keep drinkin’”. I snapped, “I know your too cold to get up so screw the rope unless any of the ladies have a fetish.” “Fine, I’ll tie it to your dick, you and Ben can service me in the snow” the new bride proclaimed. “Becky!! Please! Be Nice” screamed Ben. Becky smiled as Ben blushed in total shame. I found the thought intriguing.

Everybody looked at Ricky, we were all apprehensive at what he felt his shortcomings were. But we weren’t going anywhere. N.F. put more wood on the fire as we passed bottles of Gentleman Jack, Makers Mark, Rumpleminz, Vodka and Gin. Ricky stood up with a bottle of Jim Beam in his hand. He put down a swallow and began to speak.

We could see his breath clearly as the temperature dropped, Ricky raised his head and began to speak. “I admit that I’m ashamed of being more man than most women can handle sometimes.” Ricky took another swig and continued. “I know that I have a power and draw over folk that has to be a gift from God Almighty, but I just don’t have command of this gift, that is my evident flaw. I see the way some of you look at me.”

“Not just you women, some of you guys too. I know you dream of what I can do for you.” Fred (Ricky’s Dad) put his hand inside his coat, Rinney rolled his eyes as I saw him open his Shrade Lock Blade Knife in total silence an ease it up his sleeve. Ricky took another hit as N.F. egged him on to continue. “I am more man than most women can handle and so much man that other men want to be with me. Growing up it made me uncomfortable, but now I’m alright with it.”

Becky said tell, “Tell me more” as Ben gave her an elbow to the ribs. Ricky continued. “When I’m out in the woods I can release myself, animals sense my aura and are drawn to it. That is why I can catch and kill better than anyone in this region.” Elly excused herself to heat up some food (she went to the closet, then to the kitchen). N.F. was totally relaxed as he listened to Ricky. I was in the opening of a horror movie.

“Sometimes when you tie down what you hunted and hear the bleating sounds of resistance and fear, it gets you razzed and you git all hyper, but when you draw the knife across its throat and watch it bleed out, you get sad, real sad. But when you realize its dinner and everybody is gonna eat, you know, deep inside, its right. I like that feeling.” Ricky took another hit from the bottle. Tina ran inside with Elly. Ricky said, “I regret I can’t hunt all the time, or camp when I want.”

N.F. said, “Why is what you shot still ‘bleating or resisting’ after you tie it down, isn’t it supposed to be dead.” Ricky put the bottle to his lips and said “You hunt your way, I’ll hunt mine. I like it when what I shoot dies slow, it gives me a reason to prove my power.” Ricky walked to the fire stared into the flame and said, “I come on myself when what I catch dies in front of me.” “I wish my wife could understand how I feel”, Ricky stood back and hit the bottle.

Becky pushed this further by asking, “When you do go camping who goes with you?” Ben looked at Becky like ‘why?’ Ben wanted to be away from this nut case, N.F. hit a joint and smiled as I knew he was packing the new Glock Bear got him for Christmas. Ricky said, “I know many want to go with me but they turn me down because they know how the nights will be if they go with me. They’re ashamed of what they feel because I can love anyone in the woods.”

Love? What kind of ‘Love are you talking about?’ I asked. “When it gets cold at night and we’re in a tent together, its natural to stay warm. The best way is skin on skin” said Ricky as he hit the Jim Beam again. “Love is sharing warmth…any way you can.” Fred said, “Don’t look at me, I have three normal sons.” Ricky dismissed what his dad said and then put the question.

“If you went camping and got up one morning and discovered vaseline or k-y jelly on your lips or k-y jelly around your asshole, would you tell anybody.” Ben said, “Hell No!” N.F. said, “I’d tell everybody.” Ricky looked up from the flame at both N.F. and Ben and asked, “ya’ll wanna go camping.” Ben shouted, “Get the fuck away from me.” N.F. laughed and calmed everyone down and got us back into the house for the New Years countdown.

Rinney opened the door for Ricky and said “You first”.

Ricky’s dark thoughts became normal to him after years of practicing depravity and a weird force fetish. What kind of things do we do in dark places that are becoming ‘normal’ to us.

Sometimes its good to find a bottle, a bible and a place to hide.

RJ

No comments: