Bar Stories Wanted

Do you have a great bar story that you would like to see featured at 1762 Broadway?

Drop us an EMAIL with the juicy details to get it posted.

3.09.2008

Implied Descent


Saturday Night I went to visit my Uncle in a Nursing Home in East Rockaway. He was responsive, he was fighting for his life. A broken neck necessitated a feeding tube. He is down but he is still fighting. He smiled when he saw me and called my name, this made me real glad as I sat down and talked to him, he has Alzheimer’s disease. I spoke to the nurse who said he is told to stay still to heal, but he finds a way to move and do what he wants.

I left there kinda choked up, a WWII veteran of the Battle of Okinawa, my hero was hanging in despite his life threatening injury, the spirit in him typical of all the men in my family – that is hard heads, big hearts. I went to the Ancient Dive, I figured even its loud Saturday Night crowd would give me a reason to laugh or shake my head realizing I don’t have it that bad.

When I walked in it was near empty and quiet, it stayed that way. Chucky and the Met Fan were in the dive and Gin was behind the bar. I asked, “what is going on”. Chucky, M.F. and me talked politics for a while and I wished M.F. a happy birthday, then passed on a message from a high school sweetheart who is thoroughly pissed at him for not calling her.

As the crowd whittled down to me and one other regular as Chucky left, I asked Gin what the hell happened to the dive. The place looked more run down than usual and Gin looked totally unhappy. I offered to buy her a tap beer and she said “I wouldn’t drink a damn thing from those taps.” I had hold of my bottle of Bud (the only beer in the bar) and asked her if she wanted anything else. She declined.

“How long has Saturday’s been like this Gin?” “It’s been going down for a while, I’ve been hanging out at Bronkos on Tuesday Nights and I go to other bars when I’m not working. This place has a real negative reputation and is known as a lesbian bar and rough place.” “Wow, by the way how often do the lesbians come in Gin?” “They don’t. They haven’t been in the dive in weeks.” I thought this used to be a neighborhood bar. This used to be a good place to be.

M.F. said, “No wonder people look at me strange when I tell them I hang out here.” I thought to myself the ugly rumors I’ve heard from so called “Church folks” about me from my brother in law now make sense, its my association with this place, what was once a good neighborhood bar. I asked Gin what would make someone think that this is just a lesbian bar even though no lesbians come here anymore.

Gin pointed to the neon lit bottle in the window with the “rainbow” around it. Gin said, “anything with a rainbow as a poster or sign in front of a bar means its open to gays.” Gin’s man showed up as she was making this point. Gin continued, “everybody thinks anyone, man or woman who comes in here is a queer.” M.F. put down his bottle, paid his tab, left a tip and got the hell out. I asked Gin why is she so upset.

Gin took at least half dozen bottles from behind the bar and put them in front of me, they were all empty, she then put the bottles back. I felt bad when I came in, I felt worse when I left. When someone or something we love is facing its demise we try hard to do all we can to support them or it, we attempt to buffet ourselves emotionally for the inevitable, this too is futile. The decent will end in demise and in some way openly or otherwise we will grieve.
RJ

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you close minded assholes ever think that the reason no one is going down to The Corner is due to the shitty economy that "our" wonderful homophobic President has gotten us into. For all you INSECURE M.Fers...walking into a bar that supports the rights of ALL PEOPLE...(wait for it, wait for it)... WILL NOT TURN U GAY!! Many of u had GREAT times hanging with the ladies. If our attendance has so much influence on the bar WELL HELL... MORE POWER TO US! Now grow the f up! I'm shocked at Gins response...she sure was okay with hanging & taking LESBIAN money when we all hung out there. I do drop by the Corner but only on Tuesdays when my LESBIAN friend is tending bar! PEACE OUT HETRO'S!

Anonymous said...

New owner, new attitude. All are welcome...Gay, straight, even the stupid, insecure with their own sexuality and worried about what other people will think of you assholes are welcome...now.