Bar Stories Wanted

Do you have a great bar story that you would like to see featured at 1762 Broadway?

Drop us an EMAIL with the juicy details to get it posted.

9.18.2008

Strange Happenings

“So Zach, how much money did my investments loose due to the Stock Market correcting itself with the richest and brightest boys on the block going bankrupt?” “Actually your in better shape than most RJ, your insight has saved you much grief, you’ve only lost about 4 percent of the value of your investments,” said Zach as he pecked away on his keyboard. “And I’m supposed to feel good about that?” Zach eased back in his chair and said, “Hell yeah.”

“RJ, all investments that have been tied to mutual funds, mortgages, banks, or insurance companies have taken a severe beating. Most investors have taken a financial blood bath. Since you took direct control of your retirement fund your wisdom in choosing to stay away from investments that don’t relate to everyday life has saved you considerably. Your investments in brewery’s, distilleries, pharmaceuticals, solar and agri-business has panned out pretty good.”

I got off the phone with Zach and thought to myself about small businesses and how they must be on the verge of going belly up in this ass fucked economy. The oldest and most prestigious Wall Street firms have disappeared overnight. Lehman Bros, Merryl Lynch, Bear Stearns had to be bailed out, IndyMac Bank failed, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac bailed out by the FED and AIG with a Trillion (not billion), a Trillion dollars in assets had to be bailed out by the Government with our tax money essentially nationalizing AIG. That’s a fucked economy.

Thinking about small businesses in a fucked up America, I thought about the “Lounge” and Mr. E. and if he ever reopened the doors. I checked my e-mail and behold, Ruby has resurfaced at long last. I called Ruby to see how she is doing in light of life’s setbacks. So I asked about the “Lounge” and how things were going and she filled me in on what’s going on.

“Yeah RJ, I finally have my own computer. I'm out of that residence and I'll tell you the whole story if and when I see you. I am still at the Lounge but now I'm working M-F 12 to 7.” I asked about the renovations to the “Lounge”. Ruby said, “Mr E. tried to make some improvements which I think you'll like but that was the reason for the bar being closed for a week. I have seen Cary since then and I hope he told you that we are now open but still renovating.”

“Still renovating? He had a week. I guess all the empty beer bottles Cary saw is indicative of how much work got done huh Ruby?” “I'm guessing it costs a lot of money to fix a dump up, actually I know it does, but you will be happy to know that all the taps are working and at the correct temperature, the cooler under the register is cold as hell and we have Bud, Rolling Rock, Yuengling (whatever), Coors Light, Guiness all on tap and the kegs are all new.”

Ruby also said, “I moved out of my old house and am living with friends now. I don't have, however, my author password to post stuff so I'm lost. I did comment on your last entry (anonymously) but it was never put on the blog comments.” Don’t worry about it S.D. made changes so things are much easier to post. I also told Ruby in the interim to send me her articles and I will post them for her.

Ruby also said that she has been very busy since Mr. E. reopened the “Lounge”. Ruby told me the days are getting like “old times” but the nights are “a little scary.” (Ruby didn’t get into detail but I know from my own sources who live in the neighborhood the 4th Precinct has been visiting out of necessity) Apparently the “Lounge” has attracted a different crowd at night. I told Ruby I will get by to see her now that the doors are open and the beer is cold.

I’ve heard a lot of things recently about the “Lounge” but I am astonished that the infrastructure of the bar is so that beer is constantly cold and the taps work flawlessly (a big improvement from the last owner). In a world going bad and strange happenings in government and Wall Street, soon the best you’ll be able to do is celebrate with a drink if you have a job or drown yourself in some beer if things are bad.

If your in the neighborhood during the day, stop on by to visit Ruby. I will eventually.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess nobody wants to talk about the government with you. I certainly don't want to talk with you about anything you smut mouthed idiot. Oh, and just so you know, this is a BAR BLOG. If you were as smart as you think you are then you'd know that politics and religion are the last thing people should talk about, and probably don't want to talk about, in a bar or on a BAR BLOG.
If you want to talk about the government and politics then go to one of the many blogs regarding those subjects. I don't want to hear about it, especially from your filthy mouth. Referencing Hitler is not helping either dumbass.